Saturday, January 14, 2012

Camping

Here in a few weeks I am going camping. This isn't just any camping, it's Klondike camping. My scout troop and I are going to go snow caving up in the mountains, and it's going to be awesome. There's only one problem though, and that's the fact that even the mountains don't have very much snow. For a snow cave it is preferable that we have at least 4-5 feet of snow, and right now the mountains only have about a foot of snow. As you can see this is going to create a problem because we need a lot more snow than that. There's not much that I can do except for maybe hope and pray that snow comes. No matter how much snow we have I'm really excited to go on this trip. I've got just about everything that I need, and I'm going to do just about every trick in the book to stay warm at night. One of the things that really keeps you warm at night is Hand Warmers. If you stick hand warmers in your sleeping bag at night then you will feel a lot of heat being generated from that alone. The next thing that I always do is bring a rice bag. Rice bags, kind of like hand warmers, but bigger, keep you warm. All that you need to do is set your rice bag by the fire at night for a couple of minutes until it is hot to the tough, and then go and stick it in your sleeping bag about 20 minutes before you go to bed. I would also drink hot chocolate before you go to bed. I wouldn't drink it right before you go to bed, but probably more like an hour before you go to bed so that way you aren't up all night long. I am going to be using all of these tips and tricks just so that I can stay warm, but sleep well also. I know that I will need just about every tip and trick on earth just to stay warm because I am as skinny as can be, and I know that I will freeze super-fast in this crazy weather. Right now I'm getting really excited for these snow caves because I want to build a super awesome one. My scout leader has told us about all the times that he has gone snow caving, so I'm not scared at all. He knows how to build the best snow caves on the planet Earth. He told us about one snow cave where it had a middle part that was the troop get to gather place, and then it had tunnels leading to all the other places where people slept. This sounds so cool because I love engineering. Now I'm really getting excited. All of this can happen if it just snows a lot between now and a couple weeks from now. Wish me luck everybody because I can't wait much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment